Tuesday, December 8, 2009

<data:blog.title/>

Ok. So, this time last year, I'm not gonna lie, I was on rapper Charles Hamilton's nuts a lil too hard. I first heard about him after he was literally on every single hip hop blog site that I frequent. On top of that, he was one of the XXL magazines freshman class of 2009, along with Wale, Kid Cudi, B.O.B., Asher Roth, Cory Gunz, Ace Hood (?? thats wut i said), and a bunch other people (but no Drake...). Mind you now, this was before Wale was as big as he is now, Kid Cudi's "Day-N-Nite" wasn't a huge single yet, and Asher Roth was probably the most popular at the time with "I Love College" BOOOOOOO.

ANYWAY i got curious one day started lookin into Charles Hamilton more and was immedaitely intrigued by his SONIC THE HEDGEHOG OBSESSION! First off, JERK! Because i SWEAR to yall I was trying to make an entire mixtape using music from the Sonic videogames, only to find out that Hamilton had an entire 7 mixtape series with a Sonic theme. So, after hatin on him for a few hrs and bein pissed at myself for waiting so long, I downloaded all of his mixtapes.

My reaction? DOPENESS. I kinda overexagerrated a lil when i told OPENMIC that he was already one of my favorite emcees ALREADY, but the fact is I was impressed, I was a fan, and I usually dont care too much for new artists. Im at the point now where I dont listen to any artist that I cant learn from creatively, musically, and lyrically. I am in need of constant inspiration because I write and record so much. So to me, Charles Hamilton was the new crack. Not all of his songs were just OFF THA CHAIN to me, but out of 7 mixtapes, I was bound to find 20 or so BANGERS. Not to mention, the nigga was doin quite well even with airplay and video play for an up and commer. His song "Brooklyn Girls" was a really clever song that I thoroughly enjoyed and I was too hype when I saw it on the BET's 106 & Park countdown (as if I knew the nigga or sumthin lol)



But thats the thing, i thought that I kinda understood and related with Charles Hamilton. Dude was weeeiiirrrdd. I mean he is weird, with his obession for the color pink, Sonic The Hedgehog, and lava lamps. But at the end of the day, you culdnt deny his hustle. He was making moves, staying relevant, and had the songs to prove it. I read an article stating that he often slept in the studio, woke up and recorded, and did this regularly. He produced and sung a little as well, and yall know thats just like me all day. So I definitely was reppin that nigga hard as the NEXT UP.

Well.... time passed and that nigga just got ... well... LAME. And anybody that knows me, knows my kryptonite is lame people. That nigga got punched by a girl, admitted in an article that he doesn't shower alot, and even LOST a beef to Soulja Boy (who happens to be his labelmate). None of that is a good look. I've never typically been the person to let scandal ruin the music for me (Kanye is my favorite artist no matter what he does), however Charles Hamilton just fell off TOO hard. And that aint even cool. His weirdness worked for him at first, but for u to pull off bein weird, u still gotta be hella cool at everything else.... And he lost his cool factor, which only left the WEIRD



Complex Magazine did an article on Charles Hamilton's top career fails and its a quite insightful and honest article. Anybody familiar with Charles Hamilton will read it and say... "Dang... thats so truee... He effed up..." LOL

Click here to check out the article

So fast forward to the present day, a year after bein introduced to Charles Hamilton. Wale just dropped a DOPE album. Kid Cudi is undoubtedly at the top of XXL's freshman class, and Drake, who wasnt even mentioned as a freshman, has one of the most anticipated albums in rap now. But Charles Hamilton??? not one of that niggaz songs is on my iPod lol. #imjustsayintho...

PEACE

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,



4:00 PM
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home