Friday, March 20, 2009

<data:blog.title/>

Ok.... I freakin love M.I.A. (shout out to ash and merrrr!)

There is no secret about it. I got on her music kinda late (as usual...) but hey, i jumped on the MIA bandwagon quick as heck when a friend of mine showed me her myspace right after her sophomore album KALA dropped.

CRAZY

For real... INSANE

I literally had never heard that sound. The mix of heavy synth,808s and crazy drum/bass patterns, weird off pitch vocals, and ridiculously panned fx, were all complimeneted perfectly by her 80's retro swag and political radicalism

Despite the obvious banger "Paper Planes" my favorite M.I.A. tracks are "XR2" and "World Town". I enjoy studying production and especially how vocals and tracks are mixed, effects used, etc etc. And when I listen to her songs, My mind goes CRAZY! Its an overload. So im currently at work googlin HARD to find the producers of those tracks cuz thats who I need to be takin notes from! This is inspiration on another level

I just got thru readin on Wikipedia about a DJ, songwriter, producer name Diplo thats had his hand in advancing this style of music. He co-produced "Paper Planes" and "XR2" and also dated M.I.A. Im definitely bout to get on that hunt to hear more of his stuff

Its artists like M.I.A. that remind me why I fell in love with music in the first place. Great artists, musicians, producers, writers, engineers, etc have so much to offer and it shows in their music. I encourage everybody to not get too comfortable in one genre or simply Billboard's top 40. Branch out... hell u might just learn something...

and maybe even be inspired

Anyway, today is Friday, I'm almost off work and thru for the day, and ive been bumpin M.I.A.'s "World Town" alll day. Life is great


World Town - M.I.A.

PEACE


11:35 AM
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home